1099 Calendar


January 31

All businesses. Give annual information statements to recipients of certain payments you made the preceding year. There are different forms for different types of payments. Use the appropriate version of Form 1099 or other information return.


Payments that may require reporting include:


Cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) purchased from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish.

Compensation for workers who are not considered employees (including fishing boat proceeds to crew members).

Dividends and other corporate distributions.


Amounts paid in real estate transactions.



Amounts paid in broker and barter exchange transactions.

Payments to attorneys.

Payments of Indian gaming profits to tribal members.

Profit-sharing distributions.

Retirement plan distributions.

Original issue discount.

Prizes and awards.

Medical and health care payments.

Debt cancellation (treated as payment to debtor).

Cash payments over $10,000. See the instructions for Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business.


See the General Instructions for Forms 1099, 1098, 5498, and W-2G for information on what payments are covered, how much the payment must be before a statement is required, and which form to use.



February 28

All businesses. File information returns (Form 1099) for certain payments you made during the preceding year as described above. Use a separate Form 1096 to summarize and transmit the forms for each type of payment.

See the General Instructions for Forms 1099, 1098, 5498, and W-2G for information on when to file and extensions of time to file.



Electronic filing of Forms 1098, 1099, and W-2G. File Forms 1098, 1099, or W-2G with the IRS. The due date for giving the recipient these forms remains January 31.


For information about filing Forms 1098, 1099, or W-2G electronically, see Publication 1220, Specifications for Filing Forms 1098, 1099, 5498 and W-2G Electronically or Magnetically.


Household employers. If you paid cash wages of $1,500 or more in 2005 to a household employee, you must file Schedule H. If you are required to file a federal income tax return (Form 1040), file Schedule H with the return and report any household employment taxes. Report any federal unemployment (FUTA) tax on Schedule H if you paid total cash wages of $1,000 or more in any calendar quarter of 2004 or 2005 to household employees. Also, report any income tax you withheld for your household employees. For more information, see Publication 926.